As dog owners, we all want to keep our furry friends clean and healthy. Regular bathing is an essential part of caring for your dog and keeping them looking (and smelling!) beautiful. However, washing your dog is about more than just doggie beauty – it’s also about maintaining good hygiene which contributes to your dog’s overall health and wellbeing.
Not all dogs enjoy bath time though, and bathing your dog at home can be messy, time-consuming, and stressful for both you and your dog. Even if you do wash your dog regularly at home it’s a good idea to have them professionally bathed regularly as well. This is where a hydrobath could be a good option for your dog.
What is a Hydrobath?
Hydrobathing is a method of bathing dogs using a specialised tub and a warm, high-pressure shower head that allows for complete penetration of your dog’s coat and results in a deeper cleaning.
The process involves using a dog shampoo that is designed to penetrate the dog’s fur, clean the skin and leave the coat looking shiny and healthy.
The water is mixed to remove dead skin cells and hair, embedded flea eggs, and other materials that may be well entrenched in your dog’s coat, especially for those who have long, thick hair.
It is particularly effective in helping you and your dog cope with fleas or ticks since we can add specialised product to the hydrobath water for treatment, better enabling it to reach all the way to the skin.
Do dogs enjoy hydrobaths?
Many dogs enjoy hydrobaths, as the high-pressure water stream is like a therapeutic massage for your dog. This gentle massaging effect can be soothing and relaxing for them, which helps encourage good blood circulation. It can be particularly beneficial for older dogs or those suffering from arthritis, poor blood circulation, or recovering from certain muscle injuries.
The sensation of the water hitting their skin and fur can also be refreshing and invigorating.
Additionally, the use of dog shampoos and conditioners during hydrobathing can leave dogs with a pleasant scent and soft, shiny fur, which many dogs enjoy.
What are the benefits of Hydrobathing?
Hydrobaths have many benefits for your dog, including:
- Deep cleansing – Hydrobathing is an effective way to clean your dog’s skin and coat. The high-pressure water stream can penetrate deep into the fur, removing dirt, dust, and other debris that might be trapped there. This helps to prevent skin infections and irritations.
- Remove odours – Hydrobathing is an effective way to remove unpleasant smells from your dog’s coat and skin. It can help to lift and remove any dirt, oil, or debris that might be contributing to the odour that might not be as effectively removed with a regular bath.
- Relieves skin problems – Hydrobathing can also help to relieve skin problems such as allergies, itching, and hot spots. The high-pressure water helps to remove dead skin cells and promotes better circulation, which can soothe irritated skin and speed up the healing process.
- Massaging effect – The massaging effect of hydrobathing can help to improve blood circulation and stimulate the production of natural oils in your dog’s skin. This helps to keep the skin healthy and moisturised, and the coat shiny and healthy. Plus, the gentle massaging effect can be relaxing and enjoyable for your dog, making the whole experience more pleasant for them.
- Saves time (and stress!) – Hydrobathing is a fast and efficient way to bathe your dog. It takes less time than traditional bathing methods and is less messy than doing it at home. The process is also less stressful for your dog, as they don’t have to be submerged in water. This means less stress for you too, as you don’t have to struggle with a wiggling, wet dog.
- Prevents matting – Hydrobathing can help to prevent matting of your dog’s fur. The high-pressure water helps to loosen tangles and mats, making them easier to remove during brushing and grooming. This can save you time and effort in the long run, and prevent your dog from developing painful skin irritations from matted fur.
Hydrobathing at Paddington Pups
At Paddington Pups, we like to make bath time fun for your pup!
With all our hydrobaths we provide a selection of shampoos each designed to help with different aspects of your dog’s coat care (you can also bring your own specialty dog shampoo).
As we are approaching the cooler seasons, we always use warm water during the cooler months to ensure the experience is enjoyable for your pup!
Paddington Pups staff can also keep an eye out for other issues while bathing your dog, such as skin problems, ear infections, or growths, providing you with appropriate advice for addressing the problem or directing you to your vet for further treatment. Because we see so many dogs on a regular daily basis, spotting such issues is second nature to us!
If you’d like further information about hydrobathing, please call us on 07 3369 0699 or speak to one of our friendly team in store.
Overall, hydrobathing is a safe and effective way to keep your dog’s skin and coat healthy and clean. It can be particularly beneficial for dogs with skin problems, allergies, or long hair that is prone to matting. If you haven’t tried hydrobathing yet, consider giving it a try – your dog will thank you for it!
*the content in this article is based on an old article written by us that you can find here.