The festive season is upon us and the summer holidays are the perfect time to have some fun in the sun and spend quality time with family, friends and of course your fur babies.
Many dogs look forward to celebrating Christmas and the holidays with their owners and the sights, smells, sounds and tastes of the season are all exciting for dogs. However, it can also be challenging for them when we’re so preoccupied with activities, shopping and visiting friends and family. If you want to make sure that your pup has a happy and stress-free holiday season, try including them in your activities as much as possible while simultaneously keeping their physical and mental health in mind at all times.
Here are 10 fun things you can do with your dog during the holiday season:
- Take your dog to see the Christmas lights – Take your dog for a walk around your neighbourhood to admire the Christmas lights – a fun activity for the whole family while giving your dog (and you) some exercise!
- Go to a dog-friendly Christmas market – there will be plenty of Christmas cheer at the many Christmas markets that will be taking place around Brisbane in December, many of which are dog friendly. Twilight Christmas Market at Portside Wharf and the Southbank Christmas Markets are great places to wander around and do some Christmas shopping with your pup.
- Watch a Christmas film with your dog – chilling out on the couch with your furry friend watching your favourite Christmas film is a great way to spend quality time together over the holidays. If you’d prefer to get out of the house, catch a movie at the Moonlight Cinema at Roma St Parklands – it’s dog friendly and you can even make a booking for their own bean bag and order dog-friendly movie snacks!
- Have a festive photo shoot – dress your dog up in a cute festive outfit or hat and take some snaps or videos of your precious pooch! Hopefully they will enjoy the attention and you’ll end up with some adorable pics! Your pup can also get a photo with Santa at Paddington Pups from now until the 23rd December.
- Bake some dog-friendly festive treats – many festive foods can be surprisingly toxic to dogs so why not bake them their own special dog-friendly treats they can enjoy while you and your family are tucking into your Christmas dinner.
- Take your dog to the beach – there are many dog-friendly beaches within an easy drive from Brisbane that make for a great day out with your pup. The beach is a wonderful place to let your dog run around and then cool off with a paddle in the ocean on a hot summer’s day.
- Take your dog to a cafe – during your holiday break, why not enjoy your morning coffee with your pup at a local café? There are plenty of dog friendly cafes in Brisbane CBD and the surrounding suburbs that welcome dogs, many even have puppuccinos on the menu so they can enjoy a tasty beverage along with you!
- Go on a walk with your dog – enjoy some fresh air and sunshine with your pooch by taking them on a walk or a hike. Explore some of Brisbane’s beautiful parks and green spaces or take them on a city walk. Places like Southbank and New Farm Park are wonderful places to soak up the atmosphere of the season.
- Have a picnic – a picnic or barbeque in the park or even in your garden is a fun way to spend an afternoon with your family and your dog. Be sure to pack them some dog friendly treats so they don’t feel left out of all the yumminess.
- Plan a trip to the dog groomer – Summer is the perfect time to get your dog groomed and make sure they are looking their best for all the Christmas and New Year festivities. Giving your dog a haircut, brush, bath, nail trim (or all of the above!) is a great way to ensure they stay cool and comfortable during the heat of the summer and keeps their skin healthy and coat shiny. If you want to treat your dog before Christmas, book them in for a groom at Paddington Pups – click here to book online.
The best gift you can give your dog this Christmas is some extra love and attention during the holiday season. Be sure to include them in all your holiday activities so they can share in the all the fun!